Internet of things
The Internet of Things (IoT) is a system of interrelated computing devices, mechanical and digital machines, objects, animals or people that are provided with unique identifiers and the ability to transfer data over a network without requiring human-to-human or human-to-computer interaction.
The history and future of IoT
Its not science fiction. We are living connected lives filled with internet-enabled devices that learn our preferences and provide the experiences we want to make our lives more convenient. And the technology that makes it possible to connect our lives is expanding.
It all started in the early 1980s when Carnegie Mellon University students developed the first internet-connected device. It was a Coke vending machine that would tell the programmers if the soda was cold enough for them to want to make the trip from their desks to the machine.
Since then, the IoT has exploded. What about the future? Devices are growing smaller and smarter. Eventually, everything from your toothbrush to your toaster may be connected to the internet 24×7. Your gadgets will become household aides, each chatting with one another, working to serve you better.
How do IoT devices work
Smartphones do play a large role in the IoT, however, because many IoT devices can be controlled through an app on a smartphone. You can use your smartphone to communicate with your smart thermostat, for example, to deliver the perfect temperature for you by the time you get home from work. Another plus? This can eliminate unneeded heating or cooling while youre away, potentially saving you money on energy costs.
IoT devices contain sensors and mini-computer processors that act on the data collected by the sensors via machine learning. Essentially, IoT devices are mini computers, connected to the internet, and are vulnerable to malware and hacking.
Machine learning is when computers learn in a similar way to humans — by collecting data from their surroundings — and it is what makes IoT devices smart. This data can help the machine learn your preferences and adjust itself accordingly. Machine learning is a type of artificial intelligence that helps computers learn without having to be programmed by someone.
That doesnt mean your smart speaker will discuss the key points of last nights big game with you. But your connected refrigerator may send you an alert on your smartphone that youre low on eggs and milk because it knows youre near a supermarket.
Applications of IOT
- Smart Home application
- Smart City
- Self-driven Cars
- IoT Retail Shops
- Smart Grids
- Industrial Internet
- Telehealth/ Healthcare
- Smart Supply-chain Management
Advantages/ Benefits of the IOT
- Internet of things facilitates several advantages in day-to-day life in the business sector. Some of its benefits are given below:
- Efficient resource utilization:- If we know the functionality and the way that how each device work we definitely increase the efficient resource utilization as well as monitor natural resources.
- Minimize human effort:- As the devices of IoT interact and communicate with each other and do lot of task for us, then they minimize the human effort.
- Save time:- As it reduces the human effort then it definitely saves out time. Time is the primary factor which can save through IoT platform.
- Enhance Data Collection:- Improve security: Now, if we have a system that all these things are interconnected then we can make the system more secure and efficient.